Wondering how to start your day with lots of energy? Why not try quinoa for breakfast with chia seeds. A great protein rich meal that is warming, fresh, creamy, crunchy with little pops of quinoa.
• 300ml water
• 1/2 cup white or tri-colour quinoa seeds, rinsed well
• 1 tbsp chia seeds
• 1 tablespoon pure 100% maple syrup
• A pinch ground cinnamon
• ½- 1 cup fruits in season (stewed apples, passionfruit, stewed rhubarb, pear or mandarin – during winter)
• 2-3 tablespoons of natural, greek or coconut yogurt
• 2 Hazelnuts, 2 brazil nuts and 2 almonds (chopped)
• small handful of pepita seed (pumpkin seeds) or sunflower seeds
- Place the quinoa and water in a small saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat, cook for 15-20 minutes until white quinoa is cooked. Drain off water and add to a bowl.
- Combine quinoa with maple syrup, chia seeds and yogurt and mix well.
- Add fresh fruit and sprinkle on cinnamon.
I also added 1 teaspoon Japanese 100% matcha tea powder that I had at home but it is only an extra. If you do add it, combine last as you don’t want to heat the powder too much.
Sit and enjoy!
Time saving tip: You can prepare the quinoa the night before, transfer
to bowls and store in the fridge. In the morning, reheat quinoa in then microwave the continue from step 2 for a speedy breakfast.
Serves 2 people
Stay healthy. Stay curious. Prepare.